Better than KFC – Sass! Crispy Chicken
Makes 3-4 Servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
What makes this Better than KFC - Sass! Crispy Chicken recipe is Parmesan & Garlic Chick Flicks! LOADED with flavor it has the perfect blend of peppery, herbaceous spice that pairs so well with chicken! I happen to think it's better than KFC because there is NO DEEP Frying, and you aren't getting a load of grease and a hit of sodium! This recipe uses both flash frying and baking, for juicy, crispy chicken. I love using Bone In, Skin on Chicken Breasts and Thighs, as these cuts provide bones, skin and a little fat for flavouring the gravy. (If you prefer to use Boneless, Skinless Chicken, you will need to slice and save about ¼ cup of meat to flavour the gravy base.) You will need: Large Fry Pan, Medium Pot and a 9x13 baking dish, Sass! Fowl Play, Sass! Parmesan & Garlic Chick Flicks. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Celsius.
TAGS: Fowl Play Spice Blend, Parmesan & Garlic Chick Flicks
- Large Fry Pan, Medium Pot, 9x13 baking dish
- 1 cup Peanut, Coconut or Rice Bran Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 6 -8 pieces Fresh or Thawed Chicken, at room temperature, patted dry.
- 1 package of Sass! Parmesan and Garlic Chick Flicks
- 1 tsp. Sass! Fowl Play
- 20 Plain Rice Crackers (OR if you aren’t gluten sensitive, 1 cup of Panko Bread Crumbs )
- 1 Large sweet Onion cut into 1/4” slices
- ¼ cup Cornstarch or Flour for Gravy mixed with ¼ cup of cold water
1. Start by cleaning up the breast or thigh pieces by cutting around the rib and back bone. Leave bits of skin/meat attached to bones, set these aside for gravy base.
2. In Food Processor, pulse Crackers with 2/3 of the package of Parmesan and Garlic Chick Flicks until you get crumbs(or whisk Panko crumbs with 2/3 pkg. Chick Flicks). Set aside the other 1/3 Pkg. for the gravy. You should have 1 ¼ cups of crumb/spice mixture.
3. Pour 1 cup of the pulsed crumb/spice mix into large bowl (any remaining dredge mixture will go over bottom of baking dish). Dredge each piece of chicken in bowl mixture, pressing into meat and under skin. Set chicken aside on a dish until oil is heated.
4. Sprinkle remaining crumb/spice mixture over 9x13 baking dish and layer onion slices over. The chicken will sit on top of the onion to bake. On Medium High, add 1 cup Rice Bran or Peanut Oil and 2 tbsp. Butter in large Fry Pan, wait until butter has melted and starts to bubble, but do not let butter get brown. Place chicken in Fry pan skin side down leaving 2” between pcs. Fry for 1 or 2 min. or until golden brown, then turn and fry meat side down for another 2 min., remove each piece and place chicken skin side up on top of onion slices in baking dish, bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
5. GRAVY: Pour 2 cups water in pot along with chicken bones/skin and bring to a simmer. Add remaining 1/3 of Parmesan & Garlic Chick Flicks Package to water, and 1 tsp. Fowl Play, whisk and cover pot, leave to simmer on med. low for 20 min. until chicken parts are white. Whisk in the slurry (cornstarch or flour and water) to chicken broth, simmer until thickened... remove chicken bones and skin. Let gravy simmer until chicken comes out of oven. If you want to arrange chicken on serving platter save the onions and drippings with crumbs for adding a rich flavour to potatoes or for the gravy! Give each guest their own ‘ramekin’ of gravy for dipping and pouring! Serve with your favourite side dishes! ENJOY!